Newbie panic: How to run webserver only?

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Newbie panic: How to run webserver only?

Postby John_a » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:04 am

Hi all! I´ve been running my Freesco trouble-free for many years now, which is great but
that also keeps me a newbie concerning configuration and system knowledge... :?

Yesterday I had to replace my beloved Freesco with a boring ZyXEL router as a simple solution
for my girlfriend to run her working-computor from home. I´m perfectly fine with this except
the sad fact that I use Freesco as a webserver and I just can´t get it online from behind this
ZyXEL router/firewall.

I have configured the ZyXEL-box to forward port 80 to the LAN-IP of my Freesco-machine but it seems like
Freesco refuses to answer ANYTHING when it can´t get online by itself. Is there a simple way to "bypass"
this? As it is now I can´t even ping the Freesco-computor from inside my LAN. What I want is to configure
my Freesco as a pure server for HTTP, SSH and FTP.

I have an awful lot of webpages and image galleries on the hard-disk and while Freesco can´t get online by
itself I can´t even FTP the data back to another computor.

EDIT: I have the 0.3.7 version of Freesco
John_a

Re: Newbie panic: How to run webserver only?

Postby John_a » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Before somebody was quick enough to reply "RTFM" I found an option in the Freesco setup menu named p) Server [ Print,FTP,HTTP,SSH,DHCP ]:
I now have my Freesco accessible (HTTP, SSH and FTP) via LAN/WLAN from my other computors but I still can´t
reach it from outside (WAN). From the little I know about these things all I should need now is to
add a port forward on the ZyXEL router on port 80 to the IP for the Freesco server. I have done this but
it still doesn´t work. I also noticed that I can´t reach Internet from the Freesco-machine.
John_a

Re: Newbie panic: How to run webserver only?

Postby dingetje » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:08 am

If you can't reach the internet from your FREESCO, then you probably have configured its gateway incorrectly.
To say anything sensible you really need to upload your report.txt now.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x