[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - PCMCIA interface problem

PCMCIA interface problem

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

PCMCIA interface problem

Postby Thasaidon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:02 am

Last edited by Thasaidon on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Re: PCMCIA interface problem

Postby Thasaidon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:29 am

I noticed there is already an F version of the PCMCIA "package".
I 'll give that a try when I find the time this weekend.

In the mean time, any other suggestions, comments, etc are welcome.

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:08 pm

I remeber your post and read it again .
I'm thinkng this is not a Freesco limitaion but hardware limitaion .
Runnig a laptop with Pcmcia cards as router might work with a low bandwith but when you push the bandwith you get problems .
Most of the users that are asking for support have a mighty machine for running Freesco on - P4 2.4 ghz + and this is a bit of overkill .
In any case , I had a problem (that is very different from your case ) with slow surfing and Freesco reported collisions on both interfaces .
I tried three boxes , the first two (486SX 32 mb two 3C509 and a P90 48 mb , one 3C905 and one 3C509 ) had the same errors reporting collisons .
The last one , a P2 350 mhz 64mb worked fine without reporting collisons .
If I revert back to 0.3.6 the collisons is gone - because 0.3.6 dosen't have this function :D
My temporary quickfix was to replace the 10 MB hub to a 10/100 switch and surfing was a little better.
But , Freesco still reports collisons and I haven't had the heart to throw the two old boxes away .

The old post can be found here

If I where you , I would think about buying a cheap mini-itx board that would serve you where well .
You could even buy one whitout a floppy controller and enjoy the new cool feature Usb -install .
Check out this post

Sorry to be a downer , but just my thoughts .

Regrads , Peter
[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby CDFiXER » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:52 am

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:20 pm

[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Personally I would first try and force some different IRQ's on this interface and see what happens. While developing the pcmcia package I did find that some cards responded very differently to different IRQ ranges. Right now it seems to be running on IRQ 9 but I would try to get it to IRQ 10 and see what happens. If it is still the same then you could force it down to something like IRQ 5 as some controller like it better. Of course tinkering with latency may also be a good idea as I have never gotten into that sort of thing to see the effects.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Hmm, it could be the system hardware is using IRQ9 as the cascade IRQ but letting the BIOS/OS assign it to a card on the bus. IMO, bad juju but I've seen it happen :roll:
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:18 am

I think I'm going to swap out the 3Com for the Sweex NIC first, because that would be easier than changing IRQ's in config files ;)
If that works, it's probably the 16Bit that is causing the problems.
Then I could still try different IRQ's

@Lewis
If it might interest you, the linux dirver for this card can be optained
Also, If you would recommend a 32bit PCMCIA card to buy, which one would you suggest?
I would prefer Buying a new compatible 32bit PCMCIA card over a used old system.

As for the Sweex NIC,
it says in the manual, it's actually a "SURECOM EP-428X", but that's an unfamiliar brand to me.
However, If I look in the Linux driver part, it seems to use the rtl8139.c,
which is the "rtl8139.c: A RealTek RTL8129/8139 Fast Ethernet driver for Linux. Written 1997-2000 by Donald Becker."

---EDIT---
I tried the Sweex card, and at first Freesco didn't seem to have any problems with it.
Surfing seemed to work ok, but as soon as I opened a video stream, I lost my connection.
It turned out Freesco just rebooted out of nowhere.
So I tried it again, and again, if the network load goes up, Freesco just reboots.

Here are the report and stuff

I noticed the Sweex uses the same IRQ as the Fixed intel NIC (IRQ11), so that could be the problem,
If not, then maybe the slot in the laptop is 16Bit, and the Sweex doesn't like to revert back from 32 to 16?

For now I've put in my old 3Com.

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:13 pm

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:52 pm

Unfortunately I do not have any of the answers you are wanting. I made the pcmcia package but I have never really used it other than the initial development of the package and testing to make it work using a few different brands of borrowed network cards and a modem.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Thasaidon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:30 am

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x