[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - Can´t connect MS remote desktop over Freesco

Can´t connect MS remote desktop over Freesco

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Can´t connect MS remote desktop over Freesco

Postby John_a » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:39 pm

I gave up the idea to run my Freesco as a pure webserver behind a ZyXel router and is now trying another more "real" solution but with poor result. Everything runs absolutely perfect now, my webserver is back online, but I don´t understand why I can´t use the Microsoft remote desktop client from a laptop behind my Freesco firewall to control another computor via Internet. A friend of mine told me to make a port forward at 3389 to the fixed IP of the computor with the remote desktop client, but I can´t make this work. I don´realy know what I´m doing here... I keep failing when trying to edit the port forwarding, #48 in the setup. I don´t even know if this is the correct solution.

As it is now, I have to disconnect my Freesco server completely and re-configure my ZyXel router for Internet access each time my spouse needs to work from home and there is an annoying delay before the ADSL-connection is ready to accept the changes. What realy confuses me is how the remote desktop can work perfectly over the ZyXel-box without any special settings. The ZyXel router have no port forwardings, all I need to do is to run the simple wizard.

Anybody who understand the problem I try to describe?
John_a

Re: Can´t connect MS remote desktop over Freesco

Postby Lightning » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:03 pm

Hmmm I am not sure of the problem either. The remote desktop should work without any special settings to FREESCO. But if you do have port forwarding enabled it would cause failure. The only reason you would need port forwarding is if the machine you were trying to connect to was behind a router and then only that router would need port forwarding. But possibly there is some other setting causing the problem, so could you post a report.txt.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:16 am

For what its worth, I routinely make remote desktop connections from a workstation behind my FREESCO without any special port forward or firewall rule.

A port forward would only be needed if the remote desktop session is the other way around, so someone outside your LAN wants to connect to a work station inside your LAN (behind FREESCO).
A more secure solution to obtain the same result would be to tunnel through a SSH connection. With automatic authentication via secure key pairs, this is even possible without having to login.
See the PuTTY web site and look for .

Again, no special steps are required to run a Remote Desktop from behind your FREESCO to another desktop somewhere "out there". Of course when that other work station is behind a firewall or NAT router, then a port forward is required on that end as already stated by Lightning.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby John_a » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:50 pm

Thank´s for your replies! I have no port forwarding active (anymore) as that approach failed.
I´m far from a skilled Linux/Freesco user so I´m quite out in the dark here...

Since my girlfriend´s office laptop have no problems to use the MS remote desktop from our home
with my Freesco-PC replaced by the ZyXel-box I suppose there must either be a very basic misstake
somewhere in the way I have configured my Freesco (without knowing it...) or there is something more
to this particular remote desktop than what´s common. All I know is that the server my girlfriend needs to
reach have a quite high level of sequrity. Unfortunately, their IT-guru knows almost nothing about Linux
and absolutely nothing about Freesco.

I think the solution lies in what´s different between MY Freesco and the ZyXel. Perhaps I should try to run
Freesco from a fresh and clean diskette instead of the installation I have been tweaking for years now...

@Lightning: Can you please explain to me how to find/make that report.txt? My basic problem may be that
my Freesco this far have been running too perfect! -That way I have never needed to learn what makes it tick... :)
John_a

Postby dilberts_left_nut » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Does she need to connect via VPN first?
dilberts_left_nut

Postby Lightning » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:27 pm

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby John_a » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:54 am

@dilberts_left_nut: I must confess that I don´t know what VPN is, but it sounds familiar... :oops:
I will try to get in touch with the IT-guy at her work and ask exactly how the connection is made.

@Lightning: Here´s my report.txt:

[edit]
copy/pasted report replaced with attachment for better readability, please read the forum rules people!
[/edit]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dingetje on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed copy/pasted report
John_a

Postby Lightning » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:59 am

I don't see anything specifically wrong, however it might be beneficial to load a the NAT helper modules in the advanced setup. After enabling them a reboot is required to activate them.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:37 am

I did notice eth2 is found, but not configured. Any reason?
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x