[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - Totally Ot Networking Q

Totally Ot Networking Q

If it does not fit any where else, then post it here.
SPAM is not allowed, here or any other forums

Postby picarules » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:07 pm

Hello,

I have a small network consisting of an XT gateway on a static WAN IP, a router, and two gigabit Ethernet switches serving up to 12 stations. The gateway has two Ethernet connections, one to the static IP and one to the router (using two 192.168.4.xx addresses), which then does NAT (using 192.168.0.xx addresses) to the LAN. This setup works for sharing the static IP with the LAN.

I want to share two printers, one connected to the gateway box via USB, and another with a LAN address served by a Mac OS X box's print queue over Bonjour.

As it is, I have successfully shared the Mac's printer with other XT and Mac boxes within the LAN. Now what I want to do is share it with the gateway box, and to share the gateway's printer with the LAN. I am guessing that there will need to be different approaches for the two printers, in that one is upstream and one downstream of the router.

Is this totally wonky? Am I doing this the hard way? Even if I am, I'd like to know if there is an answer without reconfiguring the network.

TIA!

Joe Brown
<i>Il est bien que le soleil se lève le matin; car, s'il se lèvait la nuit, il passerait complètement inapercú.</i>
picarules

Postby Lightning » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:58 pm

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby picarules » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:33 pm

Thanks Lightning! However...

From the Mac, I can ping the upstream X<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>P</span> box (don't know what I was thinking when I wrote "XT"), but I tried adding an IPP printer (to the Mac) using the gateway's IP. The Add Printer seemed to work (I have the driver installed on the Mac) but nothing would print even though the IP showed up in the list of printers.

I'm thinking there would have to be a port number for the gateway's printer--but it uses USB. How do you address a machine's USB [bus] using an IP address???

Then, there's still the issue of going the other way--from the gateway into the LAN.

I figure I might as well learn by doing the hard stuff. Liked your sig.
<i>Il est bien que le soleil se lève le matin; car, s'il se lèvait la nuit, il passerait complètement inapercú.</i>
picarules

Postby dingetje » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:30 pm

GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby picarules » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:42 am

picarules

Postby PHBC50 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:35 am

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. (Arthur C Clarke)
PHBC50
Junior Advanced Member

Postby picarules » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:17 pm

Both ethernet ports on the manager box show "Connected--firewalled," so that's not a concern. (I'm not sure how they are firewalled, though--Windows Firewall is set to Off, and I don't see firewall options in Norton Antivirus. Must have set them when installing.)

Though I would still like to know more about crossing a router by forwarding ports (or assigning a Virtual Server, which seems to be the opposite--see <a href='http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=487' target='_blank'>http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=487</a> , p.32), I think I've reached my level of incompetence and should probably put the router ahead of the manager station. Before I do, will someone tell me if I can have the router assign LAN IPs to both of the ethernet ports on the manager box?

Thanks for the information!
picarules

Return to Other Discussions